Everyone knows that it is important for their wellness to drink water.
Why should we stay well hydrated?
The human body is about 60% water which means that when the body is dehydrated it is not functioning properly. Some great reasons to stay hydrated include:
- Not dying – literally; a human being can only survive about three days without water.
- Water energises muscles; without water cells in the muscles shrivel and this results in muscle fatigue.
- Your skin will glow; as the largest organ in your body your skin will have a better texture and colour if it properly hydrated.
- Improved kidney function; when you’re getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in colour and free of odour. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, colour, and odour increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions.
- Normal bowel function; if you are not hydrating your body enough your body will pull water from your stools and this results in constipation.
- Aids in weight loss; sometimes when you are hungry you are actually thirsty, drinking more water will fill you up and help you snack less when it is not really necessary.
- Prevents headaches; dehydration is a common cause of headaches so before reaching for a pain killer drink a glass of water.
- Elevates your mood; we all become grumpy if we are not well hydrated. Your body is not functioning properly and is, as a result, cranky.
Next week in our ‘How To’ post we will show you exactly how to calculate how much water you need to drink every day and share some tips on how to reach your daily water intake.
Have we missed any benefits of drinking water and staying well hydrated?