Most of us spend eight or more hours every day, sedentary, behind a computer. Instead of this negatively impacting all the effort you put into living well; remember the importance of moving, even a little.
A few things to easily incorporate into your workday:
- Drink rooiboos tea (without milk and sugar) or any herbal tea instead of coffee. Even if you just replace one of your daily fixes with this alternative.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift. There is nothing that contributes to a toned bum and legs more than stair-climbing and once you get into the habit of taking the stairs you will realise how easy it actually is to workout on your way to and from work.
- Instead of keeping sugar-filled snack bars, chips and sweets in your drawers to snack on, pack some nuts, seeds, cut up raw vegetables and fruit to snack on. Remember: if you prepare and buy good food, you will eat good food.
- Incorporate some deep breathing and stretching into your day. This will help to improve your focus too.
- Instead of phoning a colleague to chat to them about something, walk over to their desk. This will add many unnoticed steps to your day.
- Take note of your breathing. Most of us do not breathe properly and by being mindful of how you breathe behind your desk, you will be able to improve your breathing technique.
- Keep a bottle of water on your desk and drink from it as often as possible. Read more about the importance of water here and work out how much water you should be drinking per day here.
- Take a “smoke-break” – why should only smokers get a ten minute break every few hours? Get up and go outside to breathe in some fresh air and exposure to sunlight (important for effective vitamin D manufacturing in your body).
Always remember – make it a lifestyle, not a duty!
What healthy snacks do you pack for lunch? Do you make an attempt to move more at work?